Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Be who you are-

Black Sheep In A Red Hat
2.5"x3.5"


As I mentioned the other day, good words seem to be jumping off the pages these days.  When I came across the phrase "Black Sheep" I knew it would fit one of my figures perfectly.  When I was a very young,  I remember the term "the black sheep of the family" having a negative connotation.  It was the person who got into trouble, took off for distant lands, marched to their own tune, the one who didn't do what was expected.  Now that I'm all grown up, I see the term in a completely different light.  The "black sheep" to me is the dreamer, the seeker, the artist and traveller who is open to the world and embraces change and opportunity.   I really like this dramatic little piece. Maybe it's the red hat, maybe it's the fact that I love sheep, maybe it's the solitary figure on the black background which says so much to me (it may just be that I may never come across the words "Black Sheep" in print again and so this piece is completely unique). Well, I'm off to the school garden for flower drawing and a chalk mual but I have two other pieces close to being finished, so I'll see you back here later in the week.  

Whether you celebrated Sunday as a Mother or a Daughter (or both) I hope your day was lovely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh. i am loving your art so much. so so much. i am wanting to buy a few different pieces and can't figure out how to narrow it down! the one you gave away on soulemama is so great. i flew over here right away!!!! lovelovelove your work!!

tangled sky studio said...

thank you much :)