Monday, June 4, 2012

a gift that is more than the sum of it's parts-

my gorgeous new hot box


a peek inside 


my 1st monoprint


Shortly before my birthday I mentioned to C that I was really interested in experimenting with encaustic monotypes.  I knew a Hot Box was not in the budget and suggested that maybe he could order one of the anodized plates and then we could rig something up. On my actual birthday we made a trip to the lumber store to gather scraps and end pieces for my paintings and we found a gorgeous walnut scrap that was 1/2 off the marked price ($15) and the box began to take shape.  Chuck had already decided that he could build the box so he continued to gather materials and began assembling the box after work and on weekends.  This past Sunday(just 4 weeks later) he presented me with a gorgeous and fully functioning handmade Hot Box.  This is truly a gift that is more than the sum of it's parts.  This box says I believe in what you are doing and I support your need to stretch and experiment. It says we are in this together. It says I love you.  It is a thing of beauty and it's perfect.  I'll share more about the process and some of my experiments in the days to come but today I wanted to show you the box and say thank you to C from the bottom of my heart.



8 comments:

the nest said...

what a great gift, and an even greater guy!

tangled sky studio said...

yep. he's a keeper!

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky to have such a handy husband. Looking forward to seeing the monoprints!

artslice said...

What a sweet handyman you have... and what is an encaustic monoprint?! I'm excited to hear about the possibilities. Facinating!

Alyssa said...

Beth - this is so exciting! The box is BEE-you-ti-ful. Looking forward to seeing what new inspiration flows from it... <3

Leililaloo said...

What a beautiful way to decribe your husbands wonderful gift. It brought tears into my eyes. Yeah, i admit it, i am a romantic, yes i am..

Carole Reid said...

What a nice guy! Knows your heart.

Kim Henkel Creations said...

What a beautiful, beautiful gift and story. Thank you so much for sharing it.