Wednesday, February 10, 2010

re-energized

Hi. How are ya?  It seems like I've been up to a whole lot of nothing.  I'm at the point in a few projects where I'm 3/4 of the way there and so it feels like nothing is getting done because nothing is being completed ( i like to complete things).  Yesterday I prepped two 8x8 panels and un-did one of the oil paintings I was working on.  I actually posted it here on Tuesday but after two hours of angst deleted the post and heat-gunned the painting back to the starting point because I knew that it was just not what it wanted to be (i now know exactly what it wants to be but once again i'm waiting for paint to dry).  The larger of the two oil paintings is 3/4 of the way done but of course it is giving me trouble as well.  It seems that every time I try to work larger I hit a wall.  I was out of small blocks and had just finished the group of eight paintings for ETA7 (all eight sold opening weekend...YAY!) and so I thought it would feel good to change things up.  I was wrong.  It felt frustrating.  So Yesterday I picked up my freshly milled maple boards which C will cut into about 120 blocks (there's going to be lots of tiny art in the weeks and months to come....i'm not giving up on the larger pieces but I need to set them aside for a while).  In the scrap box I found two awesome pieces of 2" thick oak (pictured above) which I hope to turn into something really special.  So the re-energizing  title comes from the new wood and from the Bikram Yoga class C and I went to last night (remember i said i was going to try it?).  It was crazy hot (like 110 degrees hot) and I'm not a fan of hot but I really liked it.  I am a creature of habit and I like the fact that the same 26 poses are done (twice) in each class so you know what to expect.  I also like that it's an amazing workout but it's calming and cleansing.  At the end of class C wanted to lie in the darkness and relax for five minutes and I wanted to run outside (standing directly under a heating vent is not a good idea).  
Namaste.

6 comments:

Sleepandhersisters said...

I can understand your frustration with your new pieces... and am looking forward to seeing 120 new small works over the next few months! Good luck on the progress of those larger pieces.

the nest said...

whoa! that's hot. good for you, though!

congratulations on selling all those beauties in one weekend! wow.

snow day today!!! :)

tangled sky studio said...

i miss snow days!!!!

Janice La Verne said...

One of my "assignments" while in Nebraska was to work larger. 16" x 20" is not very big, but huge for me. I ran into lots of roadblocks...

I'd love to hear more about this... I'm not sure I can even verbalize how it changes things, but it does...

layers said...

sounds like a very good way to get energized-- I need something right now myself-- looking at a series with a deadline can be daunting

artslice said...

Ooh, the hot yoga. Don't know if I could stand it! Kudos to you for trying it.
Can't wait to see what new pieces you're going to be making with all the fresh cut wood.
Congrats on selling out so fast... how cool is that!
Have a great holiday Beth.