Thursday, June 11, 2009

hmmm....






Today I finished preparing the landscape background for another 10" x 20" painting.  I have an idea of where I want to take this piece but am not ready to commit to it yet (I need to do a few sketches to map out the basic imagery before I start etching in and layering).  Since the conference last weekend I've found myself thinking about imagery a lot.  I think if you paint what is true your work reflects that.  For example, I've tried to paint dark and moody before but it just doesn't suit me and it always seems contrived or false.  I am drawn to images of beds and boats, landscapes and clouds and am always thinking about dreams and the bridge they form to our subconscious.   The work I've created around these themes (the stargazers, the jars etc...) have been my favorites and ring most true.  I'll share the progress on this piece after the weekend (and will properly thank my little source of inspiration).  
The last two photos are more experiments with paper and wax.  They are both encaustic monotypes (which involves painting the wax onto a flat heated surface and layig the paper on top to absorb the wax and make a one of a kind print).  The second one was produced in the same way as the first but then I flipped the paper over and  ironed the back side (with my new encaustic iron) until the wax soaked thru completely (so you are looking at the back of the print but i rather like it!). 
 I've got to get some kiddos in bed so they can get up for the last day of school...sweet dreams!

4 comments:

Tara Thayer said...

I can't wait to see how these paintings develop step by step.
And best wishes to those kiddos (and their mom) on the last day.
Can't wait for ours.

Jamie Ribisi-Braley said...

I absolutely LOVE the first monoprint! Beautiful!!! And the colors in the new painting look great, too!

Sleepandhersisters said...

these are just delicious!!! am looking forward to seeing the process.

Bev Plowman said...

They look great! They remind me of the innocence of Miro!