Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Social Workers




Work, work, work...all they do is work!   The honey bee's constant production and storage of honey keeps the hive buzzing with activity day and night.   My house has been buzzing with activity over the past few days and it was only last night as I finished this piece that i started to think about what we can learn from this community of winged workers.   Honey bees actually cooperate to find food and use a pattern known as  "dancing" to communicate information about food sources. They depend upon one another and exist only as a community....they truly are "social workers"!   

5 comments:

Jamie Ribisi-Braley said...

This is so stunning!!!!! I love it!!

Sleepandhersisters said...

I really love the little lines the bees are flying from one hive to another...

I think we can all learn from the bee colony... thanks goodness we don't have to communicate by dance thouugh, everyone will just look at me and crack up...!

artslice said...

This turned out so great! I like the hive/bee images on the bottom. As a former social worker, it's an interesting dichotomy. In this case, I think I'd rather be a bee!

tangled sky studio said...

thanks for the kind words. this piece was definitely challenging. i've come to the conclusion that anytime i divide something in two getting stuck is inevitable! but the paintind became what it was supposed to be...it is so amazing to me how this happens...

Leililaloo said...

You came up with a really surprising solution!!! I love it!!!