Monday, December 28, 2015

A hand sewn surprise...

corset top::wrap skirt


Hi there.  I am so excited to share the secret hand sewing project that took up many mornings in December.  I let my oldest (who is home from college) sleep in each morning while I quietly stitched this special surprise.  The skirt is made from two layers of mid weight organic fabric in plum and is soft and warm and super comfortable.  The shirt is made from two layers as well.  The bottom layer is mid-weight organic black knit and the top layer of fabric was a much loved but totally falling apart concert t-shirt from Lollapalooza 2007.  It was tucked away as a keepsake but stopped being wearable 2 or 3 years ago.  I snuck it out of her closet, mustered my courage, and cut it up hoping the project would turn out the way I planned.   It came out better than expected, fits her perfectly, and she absolutely adores it.  I love the process of sewing by hand and I really love the visible stitch work.  I have also made myself a long black skirt and was given a kit for the polka dot factory dress which I will start in a week or two.  I feel as though I've been on a creative walkabout with hand sewing.  I dove into these 1st projects with intention and a deadline, but now, with a few pieces under my belt, I'm ready to slow down a bit and integrate sewing into my creative process.  I'm looking forward to getting back to painting, finishing up some knitting and starting a new hand sewn project in the new year.  But, for the next few days, I am just hanging out and enjoying the company of my oldest before taking her back to school next weekend.  Wishing you all a peaceful end to the year full of beauty in all its forms.

xx-




1 comment:

donna joy said...

beautiful-from what we can see! i'm sure she will appreciate all the time and love that went into it.