Thursday, January 31, 2013

What hope looks like...



What Hope Looks Like
7.5" x 8"

The Company I Keep
6.5" x 8.5"


Hi there.  I finished up these two pieces over the weekend but had a bit of trouble photographing the black backgrounds over the past few warm, grey and stormy days.  This morning the sky is clear and blue and the sun is reflecting off the sparkly white snow that is now covering everything.  I am totally loving black backgrounds right now but they are tricky to photograph because a flash tends to create a glare on the surface and so the natural light has to be bright enough to capture the detail.  Anyways, these pictures I took this morning are pretty good but in person the paintings are slightly less milky looking and read a bit darker. I played around with the skin tones in both of these pieces and really like the depth and life the bits of color give to these women. I think it adds a warmth and energy which plays off the pink dress and the grey and white dresses equally well.  I have been thinking about hope a lot these days and the butterflies in the top painting seem to capture exactly what hope feels like to me.  Hope can be breathtaking, beautiful and delicate, fleeting and often appears when it is least expected.  That's really all I have for today...thanks for reading and have a lovely rest of the week and weekend.


3 comments:

Catherine said...

oh my gosh -- I am drooling over What hope looks like ;-D Any chance of making one in a 5 1/2 wide x 5" high size to match the first painting I bought from you??

cmscanlon@comcast.net

tangled sky studio said...

i transfered the butterflies from a bit in my pile so it is a one of a kind piece : )

Gloria Freshley Art and Design said...

These are both beautiful! Good luck with everything you have going on!! Best . . .