Monday, May 4, 2009

Mmmmm.....


conceptualize
marinate carmelize braise
cut good bread and build

Hi there....(please excuse my feeble attempt at panini inspired haiku).  I left here on Friday so sad and teary eyed and I want to thank everyone for the words of wisdom and encouragement.  After a few good nights of sleep and sunshiny days  I'm feeling loads better.  I am absolutely ga-ga over my new panini press and am sure it will be living on my kitchen counter.  The kids were totally into making their own crispy, melty masterpieces and are continuing to brainstorm on new compositions of sandwich craft. My first panini was grilled chicken breast with vermont cheddar, thinly sliced tomato, balsamic onion marmelade and arugula...it was delish!  Here are a few more combinations I'm looking forward to trying: 

fried egg with bacon, gorgonzola and frisee
cheddar with smoked ham, poached pear and mustard
smoked turkey, brie and Mendecino Mustard
chopped chickpeas with roasted red peppers, black olives and feta
tuna with fennel black olives and black pepper mayo

....some of these are from Tom Colicchio's 'wichcraft book (thanks Mom!) and some are from my dreams about portable meals.  I've been a fan of TC since his days at Gramercy Tavern (the bar there is still my hands down favorite place in NY to chill out with a glass of wine and  small bites before a show or after a day of walking the city)

6 comments:

Tara Thayer said...

My best friends cousin is a chef at GT, and I was treated to a homemade meal last Sunday (her day off): the most amazing cold slaw (lots of vinegarS, she said. Apple cider, pear vinegar...), pulled pork, zucchini cake...all amazing.
Take care during your bumpy ride. You are in lots and lots of bloggy friends thoughts (definitely mine!)
Best wishes, Tara

tangled sky studio said...

oooh-jealousy rears it's ugly (and hungry head)! what a perfect meal (i'm a huge slaw fan and aleays serve it along with pulled pork around here...many vinegars hmmm....interesting.)

Heather Jerdee said...

I'm drooling, I must purchase a panini press soon... I'm glad your doing better and your in my thoughts too Beth :)

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend. I hope something magical happens for you. At least you have fab food to comfort you for now.

angela recada said...

All those ideas for panini combinations! I'm getting sooooo hungry! (I love my panini press, too.)

So sorry to see the house sale fell through.
:0(

the nest said...

mmm... Zingerman's has nothing on you! Your list of combos makes my mouth water!

xo