Tuesday, April 26, 2016

New work, new medium, new colors-

Row, row, row your own boat
cold wax mixed media
20"x20"



The Last Best Place
encaustic mixed media
20"x20"


Just wanted to pop in and share two new pieces I finished up over the weekend. I spent much of last week messing around with cold wax medium and oil paint.  Have you ever used it?  There's not too much information out there on it right now, but a new book is coming out later this year and on-line there seems to be a lot of interest in it as a medium.   I really like the texture and the matte finish it offers and the fact that is it speeds up oil paint dry time so you can work in many layers over the course of a week or two.  I used palette knives for mixing colors and for application, mixed in pigment stick, oil pastel crayon and collage elements.  It's fun to mix it up a bit and explore new ways to work.  The 2nd piece is straight encaustic on the bottom and pigment stick, collage and encaustic on top.  The colors of summer are making their way into my work and the tiny bits of color peeking out here in the upper midwest tell me that it truly is just around the corner.  And on that note I wish you a warm, bright and lovely week-

-b

No comments: